Info on the scrolling images (New posts placed below here)
Updated: Oct 10, 2022
Worshipful Master with the Centenary Banner W.Bro. Mark Flisher proudly displays the Centenary Banner that was designed by himself and manufactured by Southern Regalia. A description of the allegories within the banner may be found in the appropriate link on the About Us page.
Captain John Henry Cound Brunt, VC, MC (6 December 1922 – 10 December 1944) was an English recipient of the Victoria Cross, who lived in Paddock Wood. He gained this, the highest award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces. He served in the Italian campaign during the Second World War and was twice decorated for bravery in action before he was killed by mortar fire the day after his VC action. For more info on him click here.
The Ceremony of the Empty Chair
This is a special ceremony performed by the Paddock Wood Lodge at the November Remembrance meeting. It revolves around an Empty Chair. It is our, and our visitor's opportunity to give thanks to those of the Lodge and in the Paddock Wood Area that selflessly laid down their own lives so that we may enjoy the freedoms they won for us.
Sociability- Mason - Partners - Friends We do enjoy a good ‘do’. We don’t tend to ‘dress-up’ as we did a few years ago. . . no Dress Suits or Dicky Ties anymore. It is all so much more relaxed, and enjoyable.
Paddock Wood railway station is on the South Eastern Main Line and Medway Valley Line in south-east England, serving the town of Paddock Wood, Kent. The station also serves the villages of Matfield, Brenchley and Horsmonden, which have do not have stations of their own. Typical services are:- 3 x tph (trains per hour) to Tonbridge, of which 2 x tph continue to London Charing Cross. 1 x tph to Dover Priory and Canterbury West (dividing at Ashford International) 1 x tph to Ramsgate via Dover and Canterbury, dividing at Ashford 1 x tph to Strood via Maidstone West and the Medway Valley Line.
Little Hoppers Hospital The main building is 400 years old, standing in the village of Five Oak Green less than 2 miles from Paddock Wood, set among the hop gardens of Kent. Originally a row of farm cottages and from 1850 to 1910 it was The Rose and Crown Beer House. In 1910 the building was acquired by Rev’d Richard Wilson, Vicar of St Augustine’s Stepney, to be a temporary hospital for hoppers during the picking season. The last entry in the hospital register was in 1953.
First Speeding Ticket, 1896 On 28 January 1896, Walter Arnold (UK), drove his "horse-less carriage" through the village of Paddock Wood, Kent, at more than four times the speed limit – a reckless 8 mph (13 km/h)! He was chased down by a police officer on a bicycle who charged him with breaking the law on four counts: using a locomotive without a horse on a public road, allowing said locomotive to be operated by fewer than three persons, travelling at a greater rate than two miles per hour, and failing to clearly display his name and address on the locomotive. He was brought before a local magistrate on 30 January and found guilty on all four counts. He was fined £4 7s in total (about £260 in today's money) of which 10 shillings was for the speeding charge.
Brother Mason Sign
Nothing more to add to this! The wording and the heading say it all.